Chord Electronics introduced the original Hugo in 2014. It was a revolutionary portable DAC and headphone amplifier that became a landmark product in the audio landscape.
Advances in digital technology, including the latest FPGAs and WTA filters, have enabled Chord to introduce this, their next-generation version. Hugo 2 features flexible new features, plus latest generation technical and sonic performance.
Hugo 2 can be used both at home and on-the-go, either with headphones or within a conventional audio system. Its line-level output and full-function remote control adds real flexibility in full-size and desktop systems.
Use with anything
The device offers four digital inputs (optical, coaxial and HD USB) plus extended-range Bluetooth, with high-resolution file playback up to 768kHz and up to DSD512 (Octa DSD), via its HD USB input. Analogue outputs include 2x RCA, plus 3.5mm and 6.35mm headphone outputs.
Shape your audio
Hugo 2’s four-function switch filter offers a useful degree of user-selectable frequency-shaping, bringing warm and soft or transparent and incisive presentations, giving additional flexibility and user control.
For headphone listening, Hugo 2 retains the popular digital crossfeed function of the original and now offers three operation modes. The system duplicates the effect of listening to speakers and is based on advanced binaural audio research.
Hugo 2 features four spherical control buttons, which illuminate with colour-coding information and control power, input, filtering, plus the unit’s crossfeed functions.
Extended battery life
Battery playing time is around seven hours and two modes of automatic charging are included using the dedicated Micro USB charging port; an indicator shows charging and battery-charge status.
Hugo 2 resides in a clamshell precision-machined aluminium casing, with polycarbonate buttons, an acrylic signal window, and a glass viewing portal. Available in natural silver and satin black.
- Battery: 2x rechargeable custom Enix Energies 3.7v 9.6Wh Li-ion (lithium-ion (2600mAh)
- Tap length filter: 49,152 – 10 Element Pulse Array design
- Playback time: In excess of seven (7) hours
- Charging: Nominal four (4) hours via Micro USB at 1.8amps (fast charge) – Nominal eight (8) hours at 1amp (slow charge)
- Inputs: Micro USB (White) 44.1kHz to 768kHz (16-bit to 32-bit), Coax via 3.5mm Jack (Red) 44.1kHz to 384kHz (16-bit to 32-bit), Dual data mode input (both BNC coax inputs together) 44.1kHz to 768kHz (16-bit to 32-bit), Optical (Green) 44.1kHz to 96kHz (16-bit to 24-bit).
- Wireless Input: Bluetooth (Apt X) (Blue), 44.1kHz to 48kHz (16-bit)
- Output: 1x ¼" jack headphone output, 1x 3.5mm jack headphone output, 1x stereo (L&R) RCA output.
- PCM support: 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 176.4kHz, 192kHz, 358.8kHz, 384kHz, 717.6kHz, and 768kHz (16-bit to 32-bit).
- DSD support: Native playback supported. DSD64 (Single) to DSD512 (Octa-DSD)
- Volume control: Digital, activated in 1dB increments. Last known state saved upon shutdown, with exception of line-level mode.
- Line-level mode: Activated via dual press of middle Source and Crossfeed buttons. Line level = 3v via all outputs. Reset by power cycle
- Power saving mode: Auto-shutdown after ten minutes of input inactivity
- Driver support: Driverless with Mac OSX and Linux, driver required for Windows OS