TT2 sets an extremely high benchmark for tabletop DACs, eclipsed in performance and specification only by their flagship unit, DAVE.
Hugo TT2 has been radically redesigned from the ground up, not only with beautiful new casework by Chief Designer, John Franks, but with five times the processing power of the original Hugo TT, and twice that of the multi-award-winning Hugo 2.
TT2 distils over twenty years of digital development and takes advantage of the very latest technology. As expected, it delivers radically improved technical specifications and measurements across the board and exhibits drastic sonic benefits over its predecessor with 768kHz PCM and DSD 512 playback.
In comparison to the 256-tap filters that traditional chip DACs may run, Hugo TT2 uses a powerful Xilinx Artix 7 FPGA, custom-coded, with 86x 208MHz cores running in parallel to create an advanced 16FS WTA 1 filter with 98,304-taps.
This is double that of the Hugo 2 (the multi-award winning transportable brother), and Hugo TT2 also benefits from an upgrade from a 4-element design to a 10-element design, which works in harmony with the radically upgraded FPGA and code to deliver unrivalled audio.
A brand new high-power discreet output stage coupled with second-order noise-shaping integrated between the DAC output and filter is also employed to massively reduce distortion.
Further improvements have also been made to the power delivery. Hugo TT2 now uses six supercapacitors capable of delivering huge, linear dynamic currents when the music demands it, with peak output of 5A, 9.3V RMS.
Hugo TT2 also features the much-loved four-stage user-selectable filter controls introduced with Hugo 2, and retains the three-stage user-selectable digital crossfeed function for headphone users who want to improve the perception of depth, similar to that of speakers.
Precision machined aluminium casing with steel ball-bearing buttons, gloss black acrylic signal window, glass viewing portal, and dot matrix display. Available in silver or satin black.
- Tap length filter: 98,304-tap 16FS WTA 1, 10 element design
- Inputs: 1x USB Type-B, 2x Coax BNC, 2x Optical & Bluetooth
- Outputs: Stereo XLR, Stereo RCA, 2x 6.5mm Headphone jack & 1x 3.5mm Headphone jack
- Digital Outputs: 2x DX BNC (expansion outputs)
- PCM support: 44.1kHz, 48kHz, 88.2kHz, 96kHz, 176.4kHz, 192kHz, 358.8kHz, 384kHz, 705.6 and 768kHz, 16 to 32bit
- DSD support: DoP DSD 64 to DSD 512 – native via Windows
- Volume control: Digital
- Line-level mode: Activated within the menu
- Driver support: Driverless with Mac OS X and Linux, driver required for Windows OS