Elements Ultra Phonostage
It has been thirty years since the digital compact disc revolutionised the world of audio, promising perfect sound forever. Yet many enthusiasts still prefer the warmth and immediacy of vinyl replay – the art of the black.
Despite the demise of vinyl as the main commercial format, the industry technical understanding of the complexities of vinyl replay increased enormously during the CD years. Modern materials and manufacturing methods now provide the means to produce turntables, cartridges and phono stages which are far more accomplished than the majority of those available during those years when a large shiny black disk was the only option when purchasing music.
Just such a product is this, the Elements Ultra Phonostage by Leema Acoustics.
No matter how good the turntable or cartridge, it is simply not possible to get the very best from them without the ability to precisely match the electrical characteristics of the cartridge prior to the amplification and equalisation stages.
Based upon the class-leading Agena and multi-award winning Essentials (formerly Elements) phonostage, the new Elements Ultra Phonostage features comprehensive electrical matching for both moving coil and moving magnet cartridge types. This includes the unusual, but much requested, option of 100k loading for MM cartridges.
Moving coil and moving magnet input sensitivity, resistive loading, capacitance loading, and subsonic rumble filtering are all individually selectable via a matrix of switches on the base of the unit. The range of matching options is so comprehensive that no fewer than 30 switches – 15 per channel – select the parameters. A full guide to switch settings is silk-screened onto the base of the unit thereby avoiding confusion if the user manual is not to hand.
The unit features cartridge shunt protection at power-up, to avoid magnetisation issues or cartridge damage. In addition, Elements Ultra Phonostage employs an electrically silent, transformerless power supply, which ensures that there is no source of unwanted 50 Hz hum close to the incredibly sensitive input circuitry. Any residual noise components reside way below the limits of human hearing in normal use.
Cartridge input is via industry standard Gold plated RCA/Cinch connectors, while the output can be unbalanced, again via RCA/Cinch connectors, or balanced via professional XLR connectors.
- Compact, audiophile-performance Phono Stage Preamplifier.
- Compatible with Moving-Magnet (MM) and Moving-Coil (MC) cartridges.
- Huge range of user-selectable options for perfect cartridge matching.
- Transformerless power supply unit.
- Sensitivity MM: 2 mV / 4 mV RMS (42/36 dB)
- Sensitivity MC: 75 / 125 / 150 / 175 / 250 / 350 / 500 uV / 1 mV (28/24/21/18 dB + MM gain setting)
- Resistive Loads MM: 47 k / 100 k Note: all MC loads may also be applied to MM input.
- Resistive Loads MC: 47 / 49 / 54 / 57 / 64 / 68 / 77 / 83 / 97 / 107 / 132 / 152 / 209 / 264 / 497 / 1 k
- Capacitive Loads MM/MC: 47 / 94 / 147 / 194 / 267 / 314 / 367 / 414 / 517 / 564 / 617 / 664 / 737 / 784 / 837 / 884 pF
- Nominal Output Level, Unbalanced RCA: 250 mV RMS
- Nominal Output Level, Balanced XLR: 500 mV RMS
- Dimensions: 220 x 340 x 88 mm
- Carton: 370 x 450 x210 mm
- Weight: 2.5 kg
Full Leema Acoustics Range Available
Unilet Sound & Vision are official retail partners for Leema Acoustics, providing sales, advice and assistance on their entire range of high-quality audio products. Please do get in touch if you would like a demonstration or wish to purchase.