The preamplifier stage uses two 12AX7a and two 12AT7 vacuum tubes housed inside stylish protective cages, whilst the output stage is a direct-coupled solid-state amplifier that delivers 100 Watts per channel into 8 Ohm speakers or 160 Watts per channel into 4 Ohm speakers.
An all analog design, MA252 comes with two unbalanced, one balanced and one Moving Magnet (MM) phono input for turntables. All four inputs can be given user-friendly names in order to simplify user control. Bass and treble tone controls help fine-tune your music to your personal preferences. One full-range subwoofer output is included for use with a powered subwoofer, to further enhance low frequencies.
MA252 features the McIntosh Monogrammed Heatsinks™ which are connected to advanced high current output transistors. These transistors eliminate the typical amplifier warm-up time so that MA252 is in peak operating condition from the moment it is turned on. A powerful control microprocessor is used for smooth system operation, along with some of the latest audio-grade circuit components that deliver the best possible sound.
Thanks to the solid state output, MA252 is the first McIntosh product containing vacuum tubes to include our patented Power Guard® technology. Power Guard monitors the output signal for signs of over driving and makes real time micro adjustments to the input signal to prevent harsh sounding clipping that could potentially damage your speakers. If Power Guard is activated, both vacuum tubes connected to the affected audio channel(s) will flash amber, returning to their normal green colour when clipping has stopped.
Other McIntosh technologies found in the MA252 include Sentry Monitor™, High Drive headphone amplifier and gold-plated speaker binding posts. Input selection, bass, treble, tone bypass, balance and input offset levels can be adjusted using the front panel knobs or the included remote control; all settings and input selection will be shown on the OLED display.
The entire unit sits atop a beautiful polished stainless steel chassis with a classic McIntosh-styled die cast aluminium name badge attached to each side.
- Hybrid Design: Vacuum Tube Preamp / Solid-State Power Amp
- 100 Watts into 8 Ohms
- 160 Watts into 4 Ohms
- Power Output per Channel: 100 Watts into 8 Ohms / 160 Watts into 4 Ohms
- Number of Channels: 2
- Speaker Impedance: 4 or 8 Ohms
- Rated Power Band: 20 Hz to 20 kHz
- Total Harmonic Distortion: 0.03%
- Dynamic Headroom: 1.8 dB
- Frequency Response +0,-0.5 dB: 20 Hz to 20 kHz
- Frequency Response, +0, -3 dB: 10 Hz to 100 kHz
- Sensitivity Phono (Moving Magnet): 3.0 mV
- Sensitivity High Level (Balanced / Unbalanced): 0.6 V / 0.3 V
- Signal To Noise Ratio (Moving Magnet): 80 dB
- Signal To Noise Ratio (High Level): 97 dB
- Input Impedance (Balanced / Unbalanced): 20 K / 20 K
- Damping Factor: 8 Ohms: >200 / 4 Ohms: >100
- Maximum Output (Balanced / Unbalanced): 8 V Unbalanced
- Balanced Input: 1
- Unbalanced Input: 2
- Phono Input Moving Magnet: 1 (fixed loading)
- Headphone Output: 1/4-inch High Drive
- Subwoofer Output: 1 (Mono)
- Unbalanced Analog Connector Type: Standard
- Speaker Binding Post Type: Standard
- Tone Controls: Bass / Treble
- Tone Bypass and Input Assign: Yes
- Power Control Output: 1
- Rear Panel Data Port: 1
- Input Level Match: Yes
- Vacuum Tube or Solid State: Preamplifier Vacuum Tube / Power Amplifier Solid State
- Output Type: Direct Coupled
- Dual Layer Chassis: Yes
- Chassis Finish: Polished stainless steel
- McIntosh Monogrammed Heatsinks: Yes
- Power Requirement: 120 V 50 / 60 Hz, 3.7 A
- Standby Power Requirement: <0.5 W
- Unit Dimensions (W x H x D): 30.5 x 19.4 x 41.9 cm
- Unit Weight: 12.7 kg
- Shipping Weight: 16.8 kg
Full McIntosh Labs Range Available
Unilet Sound & Vision are official retail partners for McIntosh Labs, providing sales, advice and assistance on their entire range of high-quality products. Please do get in touch if you would like a demonstration or wish to purchase.