With a dedicated McIntosh Autoformer™ connected to each audio channel, the full 450 Watts delivered by the MC462 is made available to any loudspeaker, regardless if it has 2, 4 or 8 Ohm impedance. Just one MC462 amplifier can single-handedly power a world-class home audio stereo system.
This new generation MC462 stereo amplifier has received numerous updates compared to the previous model. The most prominent is that filter capacity has been increased by nearly 50%, which has resulted in a remarkable 66% increase in dynamic headroom from 1.8 dB to 3.0 dB. This allows MC462 to easily handle drastic swings in dynamics and effortlessly reproduce your favourite music with virtually no distortion.
Bass performance is also improved as a result of the filter capacity increase. An eco-friendly power management system (which turns the amplifier off after a set amount of time when no input signal has been detected) has also been added, plus internal wiring and select circuit components have received an upgrade too.
Aesthetically, MC462 retains all the hallmarks of a McIntosh amplifier with a few key modern enhancements. The front panel now utilises direct LED backlighting that improves appearance and colour accuracy. The two audio Autoformers and single power transformer are housed in new enclosures topped by a single machined cover with glass inserts. The back half of the amplifier is home to four Monogrammed Heatsinks™ which connect to advanced high current output transistors that help eliminate thermal equilibrium lag time.
MC462 comes packed full of other exclusive McIntosh technologies too: A Quad Balanced design cancels virtually all noise and distortion that may have crept into the audio signal. Power Guard – a circuit that monitors and adjusts the input signal at the speed of light and makes real time adjustments to prevent harsh sounding and potentially speaker damaging clipping. Sentry Monitor – a fuseless short-circuit protection circuit that disengages the output stage before current exceeds safe operating levels and then resets automatically when operating conditions return to normal. Power Control sends power on/off signals to other connected McIntosh components (such as CD Players, turntables, tuners and media streamers) for easy system power up and shutdown, and patented Solid Cinch gold-plated speaker binding posts that securely attach speaker cables, preventing them from coming loose and possibly causing a short.
The balanced and unbalanced outputs make bi-amping or tri-amping your speakers easier; they can also be used to send the audio signal to a secondary system if your preamplifier does not have enough outputs, or to connect a powered subwoofer.
MC462 sits on a beautiful polished stainless steel chassis and features the timeless McIntosh black glass front panel, illuminated logo, control knobs, aluminium handles and a pair of fast responding blue watt meters.
- 2-Channel Solid State Stereo Power Amplifier.
- 450 Watts x 2 Channels.
- 66% increase in Dynamic Headroom compared to previous model.
- Quad Balanced Design with McIntosh Autoformers™
- MC462 + C52 Preamp named Best Stereo Pre-Power Amplifiers of 2021 by Sound + Image
- McIntosh Power Guard®
- McIntosh Sentry Monitor®
- Power Output per Channel: 450 Watts @ 2, 4 or 8 Ohms
- Number of Channels: 2
- Total Harmonic Distortion: 0.005%
- S/N below rated output: 122 dB
- Dynamic Headroom: 3.0 dB
- Damping Factor: >40 Wideband
- Rated Power Band: 20 Hz to 20 kHz
- Frequency Response: +0, -0.25 dB from 20 Hz to 20,000 Hz / +0, -3.0 dB from 10 Hz to 100,000 Hz
- Remote Power Control: Yes
- Speaker Binding Post Type: Patented Solid Cinch™ Speaker Binding Posts
- Circuit Configuration: Quad Balanced
- Circuit Design: Solid State
- Output Type: Autoformer™
- Meters: Yes
- Meter Light Switch: Yes
- Balanced Input: 2
- Front Panel: Glass with handles
- Illumination: Direct LED
- Chassis Style: Polished stainless steel & black painted steel
- Unit Dimensions (W x H x D): 44.45 x 23.97 (including feet) x 57.2 cm, including front panel, handles and cables.
- Unit Weight: 52.3 kg
- Shipping Weight: 67.3 kg
Full McIntosh Labs Range Available
Unilet Sound & Vision are official retail partners for McIntosh Laboratory Inc. We offer sales, advice and assistance on their entire range of high-quality products. Please do get in touch if you would like a demonstration, need some help or simply wish to purchase.