The SR-003MK2 is a 5-pin PRO bias in-the-ear earspeaker (the STAX term for earphones). They can be driven by connecting to a driver unit having 5-pin PRO bias output socket.
The redesigned ear canal type structure of the SR-003 enables you to enjoy excellent electrostatic sound quality without covering your ears, plus they are 15% lighter than the S-001/MK2, which benefits prolonged listening sessions.
Why call them "Earspeakers"?
STAX prefers to call its headphones Earspeakers – they say that such ultra-high fidelity devices for reproducing music can only be compared with the best loudspeakers, not other headphones, thus the term earspeaker is more descriptive of their contribution to today’s most advanced level of sonic transduction.
Electrostatic transducers consist of two parallel-arranged fixed electrodes with a very thin high-polymer film diaphragm sandwiched and suspended in the middle of the electrodes.
The diaphragm is supplied with the biasing voltage from the energizing adaptors or from the driver unit.
When the fluctuating voltage of the audio signal is applied to the electrodes, the diaphragm is pulled by one electrode (which has the opposite charge of the diaphragm) and simultaneously pushed by the other electrode (which has the like charge of the diaphragm).
This continuous flow of alternating voltage causes the diaphragm to vibrate in faithful compliance with the amplifier output without lag, assuring undistorted sound waves. This is why the STAX electrostatic earspeakers sound so good.
Electrostatic driver required
Electrostatic reproduction has many quality advantages, however such units cannot be used directly with a conventional headphone jack, and require a special electrostatic amplifier (driver) unit.
The vibrating diaphragm requires Bias voltage of 580V (almost no current). Relatively high signal voltage to the fixed pole (up to 300-600V) must be supplied as push-pull, a rather special electrical signal. The STAX series of driver units are dedicated amplifiers strictly for STAX headphones.
- Re-designed ear piece with 3 silicone ear bud sizes.
- 15% lighter than the S-001/MK2 results in further resolution, transparency and purer listening pleasure.
- Type: Push-Pull electrostatic circular sound element, in-ear type enclosure
- Frequency Response: 20-20kHz (4dB)
- Capacitance: 44pF (including cable)
- Sensitivity: 110dB / 100V RMS 1 kHz
- Bias Voltage: 550-580V DC
- Ear Pads: Silicone earbuds (Small, Medium, or Large available. Medium included)
- Cable: Parallel 6-core, 1.5m full length
- Weight: 0.4oz (11.34g) without cable / 1oz (28.35g) with cable