Reference 2 Meta
The Reference range encompasses two three-way floorstanding speakers, a formidable three-way standmount speaker, and two three-way centre speakers that can be used as Left-Centre-Right (LCR) speakers. The Reference combines phenomenal high-fidelity performance with complete multi-channel versatility.
And now new technological advances make The Reference range even more impressive. At the heart of The Reference range now sits a bespoke 12th generation Uni-Q with MAT driver array. This new addition truly puts The Reference range in a class of its own.
A truly revolutionary tool in the KEF acoustic armoury, Metamaterial Absorption Technology (MAT) is a highly complex maze-like structure, where each of the intricate channels efficiently absorbs a specific frequency. When combined, the channels act as an acoustic black hole, absorbing 99% of the unwanted sound that comes from the rear of the tweeter, eliminating the resulting distortion and providing a purer, more natural acoustic performance.
A result of joint development with the Acoustic Metamaterials Group, using MAT breaks completely new ground in loudspeaker design, and once again demonstrates KEF’s unrelenting passion for developing new technologies to improve your listening experience. Metamaterials are specially developed structures that use existing materials in such a way that they exhibit new, desirable properties that are simply not found in naturally occurring substances.
The 12th generation Uni-Q with MAT in The Reference is a bespoke driver array engineered to deliver pristine performance across this exceptional range of loudspeakers. It’s the result of decades of accumulated in-house knowledge and the application of cutting-edge simulation and analysis tools. The developments are many and all play a part in The Reference’s pristine performance.
Every speaker in The Reference range exudes the sense of sheer quality that comes from being hand-built by KEF’s master craftsmen in Maidstone, Kent, UK. They are designed to be acoustically exceptional, attractive to look at, and each speaker is meticulously built to KEF’s exceptional standards.
All the cabinets are designed using finite element analysis to determine the ideal shape and bracing geometry to minimise secondary radiation from the sides, with Constrained Layer Damping applied to turn what little vibration is left into heat.
- Metamaterial Absorption Technology (MAT) eliminates 99% of high-frequency distortion for pure, natural sound.
- Bespoke 12th generation Uni-Q with MAT driver array for exceptional acoustic accuracy.
- Enhanced crossover design fine-tuned the signal path for maximum clarity.
- Optimised cabinet design for best acoustic performance.
- Available in 5 finishes.
- Reference Series Grille set for each model is available as separate item.
- Design: Three-way closed box
- Uni-Q Driver Array: HF 25 mm aluminium dome with MAT / MF 125 mm aluminium cone
- Bass Units: LF 2 x 165 mm aluminium cone
- Frequency Range Free Field (-6 dB): 65 Hz – 45 kHz
- Frequency Range, Typical In-Room Bass Response (-6 dB): 46 Hz
- Frequency Response (±3 dB): 80 Hz – 35 kHz
- Crossover Frequency: 450 Hz, 2.1 kHz
- Amplifier Requirements: 50 – 300 W
- Sensitivity (2.83 V / 1 m): 86 dB
- Harmonic Distortion 2nd & 3rd harmonics (90 dB, 1 m): < 0.5 % 40 Hz – 100 kHz, < 0.2 % 200 Hz – 2 kHz, < 0.1 % 2 kHz – 20 kHz
- Maximum Output (Peak SPL @ 1 m with pink noise): 113.5 dB
- Impedance: 4 Ω (min. 3.2 Ω)
- Weight: 22.8 kg
- Dimensions (H x W x D, with grille + terminal): 205 x 630 x 335 mm
Full KEF Audio Range Available
Unilet Sound & Vision are long-term official retail partners for KEF Audio, providing sales, advice and assistance on their entire range of high-quality products. Please do get in touch if you would like a demonstration or wish to purchase.