When the Dan Clark Audio team decided to build an electrostatic headphone, they started fresh. The intention was to develop a product that improved upon all of the great attributes of previous electrostatic headphones (such as transparent midrange and detail resolution) add an often-lacking powerful bass experience, plus an expansive soundstage. All this while reducing the high-frequency emphasis that electrostatics often provide.
DCAudio reinvented every aspect, from the ultra-large 88mm driver to the fully custom silver plated cable supplied with the unit. Then even built an in-house clean room for production, to ensure the highest quality and reliability.
It is testament to this that Voce has had a service rate of <1% after years in the field, an unparalleled accomplishment considering it was their first electrostatic headphone design.
Notes On Electrostatic Headphones
Electrostatic headphones must be used with an appropriate electrostatic amplifier or energizer (energizers connect to the outputs of a loudspeaker amplifier) to operate and will not work with conventional headphone amplifiers.
Many electrostatic headphones make a zip sound when the headphone is put on or removed. This is the sound of the charged driver touching the stator, and is due to the electric fields sticking briefly to it before releasing. Voce has a very large driver size, and so the driver may be more prone to this than some other electrostatic headphones. As the stator is insulated this will NOT cause damage to the driver and should be considered normal operation.
- 88mm driver for extended and rich bass that reaches below 10Hz and a gigantic soundstage
- Advanced metal stators for enhanced resolution
- Flexible, microphonic-free round silver-plated copper cable with solid machined Teflon connector cased in an aluminium housing
- Convenient and attractive walnut storage box with built-in headphone stand
- Durable all metal construction at a featherweight 330g
- Fully dust-sealed drivers
- Model: Voce
- Driver Type: Electrostatic
- Driver Size: 88mm
- Capacitance with 2m Cable: 135pF
- Weight: 370g
- Ear Pad Material: NAPA Lamb Leather
- Shipping Dimensions: 18x14x19
- Shipping Weight: 8lb
- Frequency Response Yes. Flat to 6Hz. (DCAudio say that too many vendors publish specifications that are wildly inconsistent with actual performance to win numbers games. They don’t play this game.)