The Multilayer fixed electrode technology (MLER) established with SR-009 has now evolved into MLER 2.
The finish and etching process that smoothes the edge of the electrode opening reduces air resistance and further improves sound permeability. Also, the electrodes themselves are gold plated with high specific gravity to minimize the resonance of the ultra-thin electrode.
At the same time, due to the effect of reducing the electric resistance of the electrode itself by gold plating, STAX have opened up new ground for high speed, clarity, silky details, and powerful texture in a pair of earspeakers.
SR-009S adopts a diaphragm made of ultra-thin super engineering plastic film. The light mass has effected a high transient characteristic throughout the entire audio spectrum.
The main body was redesigned to further reduce resonance as to provide a consistent sound.
Aluminium is a good material for sound and audio equipment in general, and SR-009S makes abundant use of it. Almost every part of the new SR-009S enclosure is manufactured through precise machine processing.
High-quality copper wire of 99.9999% purity adopted for the cable, silver-coated and finished with the most suitable structure to drive the earspeaker.
The new design earpads are indivually made by craftsmen, and feature both real leather to cope with humidity, plus synthetic cushion material with moderate elasticity. The new earpad enables hours of comfortable listening to music.
The headband (arc) is equipped with a 10-step position adjustment slider mechanism, and corresponds to an extremely wide range of cranial shapes.
Electrostatic transducers consist of two parallel-arranged fixed electrodes with a very thin high-polymer film diaphragm sandwiched and suspended in the middle of the electrodes.
The diaphragm is supplied with the biasing voltage from the energizing adaptors or from the driver unit.
When the fluctuating voltage of the audio signal is applied to the electrodes, the diaphragm is pulled by one electrode (which has the opposite charge of the diaphragm) and simultaneously pushed by the other electrode (which has the like charge of the diaphragm).
This continuous flow of alternating voltage causes the diaphragm to vibrate in faithful compliance with the amplifier output without lag, assuring undistorted sound waves. This is why the STAX electrostatic earspeakers sound so good.
Electrostatic driver required
Electrostatic reproduction has many quality advantages, however such units cannot be used directly with a conventional headphone jack, and require a special electrostatic amplifier (driver) unit.
The vibrating diaphragm requires Bias voltage of 580V (almost no current). Relatively high signal voltage to the fixed pole (up to 300-600V) must be supplied as push-pull, a rather special electrical signal. The STAX series of driver units are dedicated amplifiers strictly for STAX headphones.
- New high-polymer ultra-thin diaghragm
- Next generation Multi-layer electrode design (MLER2)
- Precision machined enclosure
- High-purity copper cable
- Real leather earpads
- 10-step adjustable headband mechanism
- Type: Push-Pull Open Back Circular Electrostatic Headphone
- Frequency Response: 5Hz – 42kHz
- Electrostatic Capacitance: 110pF (including cable)
- Impedance: 145k ω (including cable, at 10kHz)
- Sound Pressure Sensitivity: 101dB / 100V RMS 1 kHz
- Maximum Sound Pressure: 118dB / 400Hz
- Bias Voltage: 580V DC
- Channel Identification: L / R indicated on the arc assembly (inside head spring). Left channel cable is marked with a solid Line. Right channel is marked with a dotted Line.
- Ear Pads: Genuine Lamb Leather (direct skin contact), high-quality synthetic leather (surrounding portion)
- Cable: Silver-coated 6N (99.9999%) OFC parallel 6-strand, low-capacity special wide cable, 2.5m full length
- Weight: 1lb (0.45kg) without cable / 1.3lb (0.59kg) with cable