The Gyro SE is a variation of the famous GyroDec design.
For the Gyro SE turntable, Michell Engineering chose to remove the full size acrylic plinth and hinged lid of the Gyrodec and replace them with a single acrylic spyder to support the turntable. This was done to reduce the overall size of the GyroDec and create a smaller, more compact model.
Please note that all Michell Engineering turntables can be adjusted and fitted out in different ways, including different tonearms, record clamps, covers and accessories. Please contact us before purchase for full details.
- Low Contact Area Feet: The solid aluminium feet of the Gyro SE are shaped so the area in contact with the supporting surface is very small. This minimises vibration transfer from the supporting furniture into the turntable.
- Three-Point Spring Suspension System: Three suspension towers are fixed to the acrylic base to hold the suspension springs in place and provide height adjustment for the sub chassis.
- Weighted Pendulum-Style Sub Chassis: Hanging on the three suspension springs, this provides a rigid dense platform to mount the main bearing, platter and tonearm assembly, ensuring there is no movement between them, while also acting as a resonance / vibration sink drawing away unwanted vibrations from the sensitive elements of the turntable.
- Inverted Oil Circulating Main Bearing: Contrary to traditional designs, the main bearing has the point of rotation at the top of the assembly, not at the bottom. This orientation allows complete lubrication of the inside of the entire bearing while the platter is turning. This is achieved by way of a modified Archimedean screw machined into the inside bore of the bearing. The oil is drawn from a reservoir at the base of the main bearing up to the thrust ball at the top, fully lubricating as it goes, it then returns to the reservoir via a waste hole drilled into the bearing spindle. Lubricating the precision parts of the main bearing in this way means that any potential for noise or vibration created by the rotation of the platter is avoided.
- Impedance-matched platter + Solid Brass Weights: The platter material was chosen for its vibration dampening characteristics and because sonically it is a very similar material to vinyl, so it has a very neutral sound characteristic. The brass weights are added to give the platter extra mass and subsequently more momentum when spinning. This greatly improves speed stability and helps keep wow and flutter to a minimum.
- Free Standing Motor Unit: The motor unit used to drive the turntable is completely separate to the turntable, meaning it doesn’t touch the turntable in anyway. The only connection between the motor and the turntable is the drive belt that drives the platter. This stops any noise or vibrations created when the motor is running, getting through to the sensitive parts of the turntable.
- Weight: 10 kg
- Width: 49 cm
- Depth: 37.5 cm
- Height: 13.5 cm
Full Michell Engineering Range Available
Unilet Sound & Vision are official retail partners for Michell Engineering, providing sales, advice and assistance on their entire range of high-quality products. Please do get in touch if you would like a demonstration or wish to purchase.