Carbon Special is a new (2020) limited availability model that combines the latest engineering with cutting edge components from the REL Acoustics reference line, all housed in a moderately sized chassis. It features a third-generation carbon fibre 12-inch driver with a new, bespoke CSP passive driver delivering 50% longer stroke, powered by 1000 watts of amplification, itself guided by CS PerfectFilter technology. An all-new cabinet with highly polished metal and carbon fibre touches appears only in this model.
Where previous special editions have used existing cabinets, drivers and filters, Carbon Special uses many elements developed solely for Carbon Special. REL have employed their newest BlackWidow 12”(350mm) carbon fibre driver, developed to deliver superior dynamic balance throughout the full range of its considerable 4-inches of fore-and-aft stroke.
This is better able to handle, smoothly and effortlessly, the massive power needed to deliver explosive dynamics. REL mated it with their NextGen 5 1000-watt amplifier which has proven to be both a sonic wonder and utterly reliable.
Directing all this is a CS PerfectFilter, a custom-designed variant of the latest evolution of filters that improves both ends of the spectrum. It delivers airy, delicate highs with greater reach into the nether regions within a soundstage, as well as truer, more powerful ultra-low bass delivery.
PerfectFilters elevate the low bass performance to a new standard for a mid-chassis design, while subtle tweaks to its upper range performance allow for an airier, more transparent soundstage and improved clarity throughout the entire system’s performance. It is impossible to overstate its benefit to a fine audio system and all benefits that accrue to its musical performance go on to expand its merits in power theatre. A true two-for-one upgrade.
- BlackWidow 12-inch (350mm) carbon fibre driver
- CS PerfectFilter control technology
- Reference performance, yet modest size
- Elevating low bass performance with overall clarity
- Inspired by the REL G/1 Mk.II
- NextGen5 1000 Watts Digital Amplifier
- Line-Array Compatible
- Wireless Compatible (via REL Airship)
- Type: Front-firing active driver, down-firing passive
- Active Driver Size / Material: 12 in, 300 mm long-throw, carbon fibre cone with inverted carbon fibre centre cap.
- Passive Radiator Size / Material: 12 in, 300 mm Carbon / Carbon flat cone structure, steel chassis.
- Low Frequency Extension: -6dB @ 19 Hz (in-room)
- Input Connectors: High-Level Neutrik Speakon, Low-Level stereo RCA, LFE XLR, LFE RCA
- Output Connectors: High-Level Neutrik Speakon, LFE RCA, LFE XLR
- Power Output: 1000 W RMS
- Amplifier Type: NextGen5 Class D
- Wireless Capability: Yes, via REL AirShip system (not included, sold separately).
Full REL Acoustics Range Available
Unilet Sound & Vision are official retail partners for REL Acoustics, able to supply and advise upon their entire range of premium subwoofers.