In developing the S/812, REL’s requirements were for far stronger deep bass output between 19-35 Hz, vastly improved theatre dynamics, and an even more open and spacious soundfield.
The 800 Watt NextGen5 amplifier is borrowed from REL reference models and rocks huge reservoirs of power and current. The 45% increase in power (previous version was 500 watts) is needed to deliver both the profound output levels needed for modern theatre, as well as to produce the deepest bass in a high-end 2-channel system.
This increase in power is necessitated by the development of an all-new circuit termed PerfectFilter™ that balance both frequency extremes.
The PerfectFilter™ circuit performs two seemingly disparate qualities; extending the strong, even response of the extreme low end of bass frequencies while simultaneously opening up air and delicacy in the middle and high frequencies of one’s system.
In addition REL applied tailored PureTheatre™ filters to allow S/812 to deliver the most awe-inspiring theatre effects ever offered in a classic REL.
S/812 also required upgrades to its ContinuousCast™ Alloy Cone to allow it to survive the massive power upgrades. To permit the thin, aluminium cone to survive 800 watts and incredibly long stroke, we added an ultra-lightweight backing of pure carbon fibre, strategically placed over portions of the rear surface of the cone.
The uniquely tuned passive radiators use special suspensions, now with an additional 30 mm of linear travel, to produce performance far beyond conventional subwoofers, whilst the new SuperProgressive™ passive radiator produces extremely long travel allowing for very loud output while retaining the variable stiffness of its suspension.
- Pure Carbon Fibre Backing
- Carbon Passive Radiator
- 800 Watts NextGen5 Amplifier
- 4/6 Unit Line Array Stacking
- Type: Front-firing active driver, down-firing passive.
- Active Driver Size / Material: 12 in, 300 mm long-throw, Continuous CastAlloy™ cone structure, cast chassis.
- Passive Radiator Size / Material: 12 in, 300 mm Carbon / Carbon flat cone structure, steel chassis.
- Low Frequency Extension: -6dB @ 19 Hz
- Input Connectors: High-Level Neutrik Speakon, Low-Level stereo RCA, LFE XLR, LFE RCA
- Output Connectors: High-Level Neutrik Speakon, LFE RCA, LFE XLR
- Power Output: 800 W RMS
- Amplifier Type: NextGen5 Class D
- Wireless Capability: Yes, via REL AirShip system (not included, sold separately).
Full REL Acoustics Range Available
Unilet Sound & Vision are official retail partners for REL Acoustics, able to supply and advise upon their entire range of award-winning subwoofers.