The rationale in the development of the new SR-007MK2 Earspeaker was to provide deep powerful sound previously unobtainable.
To this end, STAX engineers developed a unique new electrode structure. Visible through the outer case and with gold plating on the outer edge, this new electrode has no holes (unlike conventional STAX Earspeakers) and thus provides an increased diaphragm vibration area.
This allows for a truly rich and powerful sound yet, retains all the delicacy and detail that STAX is rightly famous for.
To maintain clear distortion-free sound, it is most important that nothing other than the diaphragm should vibrate. Within the SR-007MK2 the sound element is encased in a thick insulated resin case, firmly fixed to the rigid body. The results are nothing short of spectacular.
Finally, utmost comfort is provided via twin genuine sheep skin earpads that are fully adjustable to the shape of your head.
Electrostatic transducers consist of two parallel-arranged fixed electrodes with a very thin high-polymer film diaphragm sandwiched and suspended in the middle of the electrodes.
The diaphragm is supplied with the biasing voltage from the energizing adaptors or from the driver unit.
When the fluctuating voltage of the audio signal is applied to the electrodes, the diaphragm is pulled by one electrode (which has the opposite charge of the diaphragm) and simultaneously pushed by the other electrode (which has the like charge of the diaphragm).
This continuous flow of alternating voltage causes the diaphragm to vibrate in faithful compliance with the amplifier output without lag, assuring undistorted sound waves. This is why the STAX electrostatic earspeakers sound so good.
Electrostatic driver required
Electrostatic reproduction has many quality advantages, however such units cannot be used directly with a conventional headphone jack, and require a special electrostatic amplifier (driver) unit.
The vibrating diaphragm requires Bias voltage of 580V (almost no current). Relatively high signal voltage to the fixed pole (up to 300-600V) must be supplied as push-pull, a rather special electrical signal. The STAX series of driver units are dedicated amplifiers strictly for STAX headphones.
- Powerful sound with the utmost delicacy
- Rigid metal housing
- Fully adjustable earpads
- Supplied with hard-wearing metal carrying case
- Type: Push-Pull electrostatic circular sound element, Open-Air type enclosure
- Frequency Response: 6Hz – 41kHz
- Capacitance: 94pF (including cable)
- Impedance: 170k ω (10kHz)
- Sensitivity: 100dB / 100V RMS 1 kHz
- Bias Voltage: 580V DC
- Channel Identification: L / R indicated on the cable entrance point, solid line (left) and dotted line (right) on the cable
- Ear Pads: Genuine Lamb Leather (direct skin contact), high-quality synthetic leather (surrounding portion)
- Cable: Low capacity wide format, PC-OCC (Pure Crystal Ohno Continuous Casting) 2.5m/8.2ft
- Ambient Temperature & Humidity: 0 to 35ºC / 90% max. without condensation
- Weight: 12.9oz (0.37kg) without cable / 1.1lb (0.5kg) with cable