Released in late 2020, LS50 Meta are the next step for KEF’s award-winning LS50 design and can lay claim to being the world’s first speakers using metamaterial.
A new revolutionary tool in the KEF acoustic armoury, Metamaterial Absorption Technology (MAT) is a highly complex maze-like structure that absorbs 99% of unwanted sound from the rear of the driver, eliminating the resulting distortion and providing purer, more natural sound.
LS50 Meta delivers incredibly immersive sound, meaning you lose yourself in your favourite music. Savouring every nuance as layer-upon-layer of instrumentation is delivered with exceptional acoustic accuracy, anywhere in the room.
Using advanced simulation and analysis tools, KEF engineers have developed the 12th generation Uni-Q with MAT. This new driver array delivers reduced colouration, less distortion and a sound that is more transparent and life-like than previously possible, all dispersed evenly throughout the room.
Enhancements over the legendary LS50 include Driver Performance Optimisation and patented off-set flexible port for the best acoustic performance and an incredible immersive sound.
LS50 Meta’s low-diffraction, curved baffle is precision modelled around the Uni-Q driver array. Its smooth curved surfaces help radiate sound out across the baffle without any interference from hard edges, which cause diffraction. The result is cleaner, more precise sound.
LS50 Meta’s baffle is engineered from an injection-moulded Dough Moulding Compound (DMC), while inside the cabinet cross bracing and Constrained Layer Damping (CLD) combine to deaden internal vibrations. The result of such meticulous attention to detail is the lowest colouration of any speaker in its class.
Using Computational Fluid Dynamics (CFD), the port flare and profile of LS50 Meta’s patented off-set port is calculated to delay the onset of turbulence, and the flexible port walls prevent resonances from colouring the midrange. This leads to improved clarity, with exceptional depth and detail.
LS50 Meta is a piece of sculpture that livens up your room and your life. Available in a choice of four finishes, Carbon Black, Titanium Grey, Mineral White, and Royal Blue Special Edition.
- Metamaterial Absorption Technology (MAT) eliminates 99% of high-frequency distortion for pure, natural sound.
- 12th generation Uni-Q with MAT driver array for exceptional acoustic accuracy.
- Driver Performance Optimisation for enhanced sonic performance, less distortion and reduced coloration.
- Patented off-set flexible port for reduced midrange coloration with exceptional levels of depth and detail.
- Optimised cabinet design for best acoustic performance.
- Available in 4 finishes.
- With mounting inserts to secure on KEF S2 Floor Stand (available separately).
- Model: LS50 Meta
- Design: Two-way bass reflex
- Drive Units: Uni-Q Driver Array – HF: 25 mm (1 in.) vented aluminium dome with Metamaterial Absorption Technology – MF/LF: 130 mm (5.25 in.) aluminium cone
- Crossover Frequency: 2.1 kHz
- Frequency Range (-6 DB): 47 Hz – 45 kHz
- Typical In-Room Bass Response (-6 DB): 26 Hz
- Frequency Response (±3 DB): 79 Hz – 28 kHz
- Harmonic Distortion (90 DB, 1M): <0,4% 175 Hz – 20 kHz / <0,1% 300 Hz – 10 kHz
- Maximum Output: 106 dB
- Amplifier Power (Recommended): 40-100 W
- Nominal Impedance: 8 Ω (min. 3,5 Ω)
- Sensitivity (2.83 V / 1 M): 85 dB
- Weight: 7.8 kg (17.2 lbs.)
- Dimensions (H X W X D, with terminal): 302 x 200 x 280.5 mm (11.9 x 7.9 x 11.0 in.)
Full KEF Range Available
Unilet Sound & Vision are long-standing retail partners with KEF Audio, supporting their complete range of premium loudspeakers and accessories. Do get in touch if you would like a demonstration or advice concerning any of their superb products.