Following on from the original 8000 series, the award-winning 8200, 8300 series and more recent 6000 series, audiolab returns to the more premium price and performance categories with the new audiolab 9000 Series.
The audiolab 9000A is the centre of the focus – the beating heart of any high-performance audio system. It’s more powerful, capable and feature-packed than any of the preceding models – the most advanced audiolab integrated amplifier yet.
Versatility is key to audiolab’s integrated amplifier appeal, and the 9000A offers to cater for audiophiles of all creeds. Loaded with digital and analogue source connection, wireless connectivity for portable devices, an all-new phono stage to cater for vinyl playback and the usual, class-leading amplification for loudspeakers and headphones.
Audiolab 9000A features a full-colour IPS LCD screen, offering clear and informative playback, source and file information. Not to mention a host of menu options for optimum performance and user-defined settings. Various display options are provided, which also include two VU meter options, allowing the 9000A to be visually informative or, in the case of ‘display off’ settings, a discreet centrepiece of any audio system.
The audiolab 9000A blends digital capability with an analogue pedigree. Premium level D/A conversion allows a range of digital sources (over four digital inputs) to be connected directly to this high-power integrated unit. Yet the 9000A also caters for analogue device integrations (via three AUX, balanced XLR and a dedicated phono input).,/p>
The world of modern audio enjoyment is not limited to wired playback devices though, hence the 9000A also supports wireless connectivity via Bluetooth and digital audio via a PC USB connection.
9000A features the latest ESS 9038PRO flagship 32-bit DAC chip. Using the critically acclaimed patented HyperStream® II architecture and Time Domain Jitter Eliminator, the ES9038PRO delivers an unprecedented performance level that will satisfy the needs of the most demanding audio applications.
The amp’s four S/PDIF digital inputs – two coaxial and two optical – handle hi-res PCM data up to 24-bit/192kHz and benefit from a host of user-selectable digital filters that allow the user to optimise the response to suit the source file and bandwidth of the partnering equipment.
PCM audio is supported to 32-bit/768kHz, alongside DSD to 22.5MHz (DSD512). Every significant hi-res and lossless audio format is catered for, including FLAC, ALAC, AIFF and WAV, as well as compressed legacy formats.
The 9000A also delivers full decoding of MQA, the hi-res streaming technology from a custom engineered MQA certified DAC solution. This means that the complete three-unfold decoding process is performed internally (as opposed to just the final unfold in the manner of an MQA renderer) which makes the 9000A an excellent system choice for subscribers to Tidal’s HiFi Plus tier where Tidal Masters (MQA) content can be found.
As expected for modern audio playback convenience, Bluetooth connectivity is featured as standard with the 9000A stepping up to the aptX HD protocol for sonically superior and easy wireless streaming from smartphones, tablets, laptops and more. Bluetooth-paired devices also benefit from the quality of the amp’s DAC section and filter options.
The 9000A’s discrete Class AB power amp stage delivers 100W per channel into 8 ohms (150W per channel into 4 ohms!). Unlike over specified competitor models, the genuine 100W per channel will put the 9000A up against the best in its class. Referring to the standards set with the audiolab 6000A (rated at 50W per channel), the 9000A’s 100W per channel will undoubtedly satisfy the most demanding of loudspeakers and their power hungry masters.
Three Operational Modes
The primary mode is Integrated – this combines the pre and power amp stages, for the connection of digital and analogue sources to the amp’s inputs and a pair of speakers to its binding posts.
Pre-Power Mode disconnects the pre and power amp stages. The allows the 9000A to be used solely as a power amp – for example, connected to an AV processor in a home cinema system. It also enables additional signal processing to be added, by connecting the 9000A’s preamp out socket to an external processor, then returning the processor’s output to the amp’s power amp in socket, making the most of its gargantuan 100W per channel performance and critical performance characteristic of the 9000A’s pre-section.
Finally, Pre-Mode disables the power amp stage, turning the Audiolab 9000A into a still glorious standalone preamp. This enables external power amplification to be added, thus providing a possible upgrade path.
- All-new Class AB power amplifier (100 W per channel into 8 ohms, 150 W into 4 ohms)
- Three operational models (Integrated, Pre-Power and Pre-Only mode)
- Digital face with an analogue heart
- CFB (Complementary Feedback) topology
- Flagship DAC (ESS 9038PRO 32-bit DAC chip)
- Full MQA decoder
- aptX HD
- High-performance MM Phono Stage with precise RIAA equalisation
- 4.3-inch IPS LCD interactive / graphic general user interface experience with VU meter options.
- Model: 9000A
- General Description: Integrated Amplifier
- Design Philosophy & Core Technology:
- 2 x 100W (8 ohms) / 2 x 150W (4 ohms) Class AB
- ES9038Pro 32-bit DAC
- 4.3-inch (800 x 480 mm) large-size full-view IPS LCD
- Built-in certified hardware MQA Full decoder (PC USB, Coax/Optical)
- Support for Bluetooth 5.0 (aptX/aptX HD/AAC/LDA) streaming
- Dedicated high-performance low-noise MM phono stage
- Dedicated current-feedback headphone AMP
- Integrated / Pre-Power / Pre-only modes
- Support for USB upgrade
- Inputs: 3 x Analogue, 1 x XLR, 1 x Phono (MM/MC) , 1 x Power Amplifier, 2 x SPDIF (Coax), 2 x SPDIF (Optical), 1 x PC USB (USB B), 1 x Bluetooth (aptX/aptX HD), 1 x 12 V Trigger
- Outputs: 1 x Preamplifier, 1 x Stereo Speaker, 1 x Headphone, 1 x 12 V Trigger
- Sampling Frequency: Optical/Coaxial: 44.1 kHz – 192 kHz; PC USB: 44.1 kHz – 768 kHz (PCM) / DSD64, DSD128, DSD256, DSD512
- Preamplifier Section
- Gain: +8 dB (Line & XLR), +55 dB (Phono MM)
- Input Sensitivity: 1 Vrms (Line, Volume = 0 dB); 2 Vrms (XLR, Volume = 0 dB), 4.4 mV (Phono MM, Volume = 0 dB)
- Input Impedance: 10 K (Line & XLR); 47 K // 100 pF (Phono MM)
- Total Harmonic Distortion (THD): > 0.0004 % (1 kHz @ 2 V, Volume = 0 dB)
- Frequency Response: 20 Hz – 20 kHz (+/- 0.1 dB)
- Output Voltage: 2.3 V max. (Volume = 0 dB)
- Output Impedance: 120 ohms
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio: > 112 dB (Line & XLR, A-weighted)
- DAC Section
- D to A Converter: ES9038Pro
- Total Harmonic Distortion (THD): < 0.001 % (1 kHz @ 0 dBFS)
- Output Level (0 dBFS, 1 kHz): 2.1 Vrms
- Max. Sampling Frequency: Optical / Coaxial 192 kHz; PC USB PCM 768 kHz, DSD512
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio (S/N): > 117 dB (A-weighted)
- Power Amplifier Section
- Gain: +29 dB
- Rated Power Output: 2 x 100 W (8 ohms, THD <1 %); 2 x 150 W (4 ohms, THD <1 %)
- Frequency Response: 20 Hz – 20 kHz (+/- 0.3 dB)
- Total Harmonic Distortion (THD): < 0.003 % (1 kHz @ 50 W / 8 ohms)
- Input Sensitivity: 1 Vrms
- Signal-to-Noise Ratio (S/N): > 115 dB (A-weighted)
- Max. Output Current: 15 A
- Headphone Amplifier
- Total Harmonic Distortion (THD): < 0.01 % (1 kHz, 50 mW)
- Output Impedance: 2.35 ohms
- Load Impedance: 20-600 ohms
- Standby Power Consumption: < 0.5 W
- Net Weight: 8.4 kg
- Gross Weight: 10.2 kg
- Dimensions (mm) (W x H x D): 444 x 342 x 89
- Carton Size (mm) (W x H x D): 514 x 470 x 161
- Finish: Black / Silver
- Power Requirements (depending on region): 220-240 V ~ 50/60 Hz; 100-120 V ~ 50/60 H
- Power Cord
- Remote Control
- User Manual
Full Audiolab Range Available
Unilet Sound & Vision are official retail partners for Audiolab, providing sales, advice and assistance on their entire range of high-quality audio products. Please do get in touch if you would like a demonstration or wish to purchase.
There are no reviews yet.