A high performance DAC is built upon more than brand-name chips inside. Most comparisons of competing DACs are simplified into who supplies the integrated circuit. The Bryston BDA-3 digital to analog converter starts with the most technologically advanced AKM ICs, but those are only the beginning.
Each electrical input is galvanically isolated to completely eliminate the possibility of ground noise from the attached interconnect and device from polluting the signal. The embedded clock signals are thrown out, and all incoming PCM data is re-clocked with Bryston’s own high-precision internal master clock for the lowest possible jitter.
Rather than a single DAC IC, Bryston use two each in balanced mode for even better signal to noise ratio and lower crosstalk. Digital audio is converted to analog and sent to their proprietary discrete class-A operational amplifiers for output to your preamp.
To further improve fidelity, Bryston DACs feature fully independent power supplies for the digital and analog sections to prevent additional distortion. You will not find a more thoroughly engineered or better-sounding high performance DAC.
The most notable difference between the smaller BDA-2 and BDA-3 is, in addition to PCM playback, the BDA-3 is fully DSD enabled. It can decode up to DSD-256 through the asynchronous USB inputs and even accept SACD input via HDMI.
The BDA-3 has a whopping 10 separate inputs including four 2-channel HDMI, asynchronous USB, AES/EBU, TOSLINK, and digital coax. It also includes Bryston’s network module which facilitates control via TCP/IP and RS-232 – a must for modern home automation.
Are you ready to jump into DSD downloads? Do you want to connect your television or blu-ray player to your stereo system? If so, BDA-3 is the perfect match.
- 10 different inputs; 4 HDMI, 2 USB, AES/EBU, S/PDIF RCA, S/PDIF BNC, Toslink.
- PCM support up to 384 kHz / 32 bit
- DSD support up to DSD-256 (x4).
- User selectable upsampling for some inputs.
- Separate power supplies for analog and digital circuitry.
- Fully discrete Class-A balanced analog outputs.
- Control via IR, RS232, IP, or 12V trigger.
- Aluminum chassis and metalwork.
- Machined and anodized aluminum dress panel.
- Silver or black faceplate
- 17-inch or 19-inch faceplate (non-rack mountable)
- Dimensions (Inches): 17 or 19 W x 3.4 H x 12 D
- Weight: 4 kg
- Frequency Response: 20 Hz – 20 kHz, ±0.1 dB
- THD+N (20Hz-20kHz): <0.002%
- Voltage Output: XLR: 4V, RCA: 2V
- Noise: RCA -134 dB, XLR -140 dB
Full Bryston Range Available
Unilet Sound & Vision are official retail partners for Bryston, providing sales, advice and assistance on their entire range of high-quality products. Please do get in touch if you would like a demonstration or wish to purchase.