The original Nu-Vista 800 was an amplifier that has enjoyed much popularity and use as a high end hybrid integrated over the past few years. It was originally designed in 2013 to bring back the then discontinued Nu-vista family of products.
Unfortunately, as with all things encompassing modern, as well as more traditional technology, parts were discontinued. The original retro-look display was suddenly no longer produced at very short notice.
Musical Fidelity were therefore left with a choice – discontinue a popular amplifier or workaround and replace the original with updated version but as unchanged as possible from the original formula.
MF reworked the old Nu-Vista circuit to modern practices and it was the first to include the locally decoupled output stage since the TITAN. This involved giving each output device a corresponding high current bulk supply capacitor. These capacitors mounted on the power amplifier PCB, give it similar appearance to a V10 engine!
Never before in the history of hi-fi have Nuvistor tubes been coupled with state-of-the-art SMD technology and sophisticated modern design techniques. The Nu-Vista 800.2’s technical performance is astonishing.
The Nu-Vista 800.2‘s mechanical construction is uncompromisingly rigid and solid in typical Musical Fidelity tradition. Front panel and side panels are milled from extruded aluminium profiles and are extremely massive. The Nu-Vista 800.2 is basically immune against the effects of vibration from the environment.
The same can be said about electro magnetic immunity. The massive aluminium case acts as a Faraday cage. It protects the internals against outer electromagnetic fields, and in the same way, the rest of your HiFi gear against electromagnetic fields generated by the Nu-Vista 800.2.
The new Nu-Vista 800.2 is a continued labour of love for Musical Fidelity. Our passion for Nuvistor tubes didn‘t stop. Everyone at Musical Fidelity hopes that you derive as much pleasure listening to the Nu-Vista 800.2 as they had creating it.
Nuvistor tubes were invented in the 1950s to solve the many shortcomings of conventional tubes. Unlike them, Nuvistor tubes offer very high reliability, low microphony, low noise, consistency from batch to batch, small size, relatively low power consumption and great technical performance.
One famous application was in the Ampex MR-70, a costly studio tape recorder whose entire electronics section was based on nuvistors. Another limited application of this very small tube was in studio-grade microphones from that era, the AKG/Norelco C12a, which employed the 7586, being a good example.
It was also later found in the famed Neumann U47 studio microphone. This microphone was highly regarded by artists all over the world, and was used by many top recording artists such as Frank Sinatra, The Beatles, and so on.
Unfortunately just as uses for Nuvistor tubes were being explored, the transistor was invented and it was game over. There the matter rested until about fifteen years ago, when Musical Fidelity created the first of its ground-breaking Nu-Vista series. These legendary, limited-edition products sold out in a matter of months. Today, fifteen years later, they command very high secondhand prices because of their beautiful sound, build quality, and longevity.
- A work of audio art using the incredible MF Nu-Vista circuitry with 300 WPC+
- Redesigned front panel with new display.
- Rewound transformer for less noise.
- Revised power supply circuits.
- Remote on/standby.
- Locally decoupled output stage taken from the TITAN power amp.
- Total stability margin, will drive any loudspeaker with ease.
- Cutting edge technical performance with the magic of Nu-Vistors.
- Dual mono power amps with separate preamp.
- Five versatile inputs – Balanced XLR, CD, Tuner, 2 x Auxiliary.
- Both fixed line and variable pre outputs.
- Home Theatre bypass.
- Superb design, Heroic build quality.
- More than 300 watts per channel with unconditional stability margins and incredible load driving ability.
- Incredibly low distortion over a colossal bandwidth.
- Extremely low noise.
- Extremely flat frequency response.
- Power: 330 W per-channel (8 Ohms) / 500 W (4 Ohms) / 1000 W (peak, 2 Ohms)
- Voltage: 52 V RMS, 20 Hz – 20 kHz; onset of clipping; 147 Volts peak to peak
- Current: 120 A peak-to-peak
- Damping Factor: 200
- Output Devices: 5 pairs per channel
- THD+N: < 0.005 % typical, 20 Hz – 20 kHz
- SNR: > 107 dB A-weighted
- Impedance: 40 k Ohms
- Frequency Response: +0, –0.1 dB, 10 Hz – 30 kHz
- Line Level Inputs: 4 pairs line level RCA connectors; 1 pair line level balanced XLR connectors
- Line Level Outputs: 1 pair line level RCA connectors, constant level LINE outputs, 1 pair line level RCA connectors, PREAMP outputs for e.g. bi-amping
- Speaker Outputs: 2 pairs 4 mm banana plug/binding posts
- Mains voltages: 115 / 230 V AC 50 / 60 Hz (factory pre-set); 100 V AC 50 / 60 Hz (alternative)
- Consumption: < 0.5 W in standby mode (orange LED lit); 130 W on and idle (blue LED lit); 900 W maximum
- Dimensions (W x H x D): 483 x 187 x 510 mm
- Weight: 41 kg net
- Mains power cable.
- Remote control.
Full Musical Fidelity Range Available
Unilet Sound & Vision are official long-term retail partners for Musical Fidelity, providing sales, advice and assistance on their entire range of high-quality audio components. Please do get in touch if you would like a demonstration or wish to purchase.