Sabre is the new high-end moving-magnet (MM) phono cartridge from Vertere Acoustics, sitting between the cheaper Magneto MM cartridge and the beautiful and award-winning Mystic MC cartridge – all available from Unilet Sound & Vision.
Upgrading from a budget moving magnet cartridge involves some difficult choices. The first and probably the most obvious choice is Moving Magnet or Moving Coil. Moving Coil is traditionally seen as the better choice, but it requires an additional 20 db or more gain. Budget phono stages often struggle to do this well, if at all. The upgrade involving a new cartridge and a new MC phono stage could be expensive.
MM cartridges have in some ways suffered from the majority having a reputation of being a bit lightweight and scratchy-sounding. Sabre is not such a cartridge as a demonstration will conclude. Sabre is detailed, dynamic and full-bodied and, most importantly, is highly musical and addictive.
Sabre’s body is precision machined from solid aluminium alloy with its final mass perfectly tuned to the generator for ideal support and control of unwanted mechanical vibrations.
In turn, the generator is uniquely fixed to the body via four spike screws that are precisely positioned and torqued for maximum rigidity and performance.
Cartridge mounting is via two machined threaded fixing holes. Also supplied with the cartridge are two Vertere stainless steel thumb screws designed to ensure correct coupling of the cartridge body to the tonearm head-shell.
- Aluminium alloy body, CNC precision machined from solid.
- The body is mass-tuned to the generator for optimum support and control of unwanted mechanical vibrations.
- Sabre MM utilises an Alnico magnet with its suspension individually positioned and aligned for maximum musical performance.
- Generator is uniquely fixed to the body via four "spike" screws precisely positioned and torqued for maximum rigidity and performance.
- No adhesives used in mounting the generator to the cartridge body.
- The micro-elliptical diamond stylus tip is bonded to an aluminium tube cantilever designed for maximum tracking ability without compromising high-frequency response or increased surface noise.
- Threaded body to accept the supplied stainless steel thumbscrews for correct coupling of the cartridge body to the tonearm headshell.
- Three specifically designed contact areas machined into the top of the body that provide the exact mechanical coupling required.
- Alignment ridge on the front top that assists mounting Sabre to any Vertere Acoustics tonearm.
- Bonded through diamond assembly maximises alignment and rigidity.
- Wideband frequency response of below 15 Hz to above 25 kHz.
- Output of 4.0 mV will provide a lifelike dynamic range with depth and precision.
- Type: Moving Magnet
- Output Level: 4.0 mV
- Recommended Phono Input Load: 47 kΩ, 100 pF – 220 pF
- Recommended Tracking Weight: 2.0 g (1.9 g – 2.1 g)
- Stylus: Elliptical Diamond 7.5 x 15.5 μm
- Mounting: Special Tri-Point Contact, with M2.5 Threaded Fixing Holes
- Generator Fixing: Special Quad-Point Contact, with M2.5 Stainless Spike Screws
- Frequency Response: 15 Hz -25 kHz
- Channel Separation: Better than 22 dB
- Cantilever: Aluminium Alloy Tube
- Dynamic Compliance: 10 x 10-6 cm/dyne
- Coil Impedance: 1 kΩ (per Channel)
- Weight: 10.3 g
Full Vertere Range Available
Unilet Sound & Vision are official retail partners for BRAND, providing sales, advice and assistance on their entire range of high-quality products. Please do get in touch if you would like a demonstration or wish to purchase.