The Artera Pre is a pure analogue preampliﬁer which combines innovative modern British design with the Quad sound signature traditions, characterized by the pure analogue signal.
The circuitry is exceptionally well specified, including a low-noise toroidal transformer, numerous reservoir/smoothing capacitors and an impressive number of regulators. The power supply incorporates eleven regulated supply rails including multiple ultra-low-noise regulators, with extensive measures against contamination and cross-coupling. The core signal path is short and direct to preserve signal purity, and volume is adjusted in the analogue domain under microprocessor control.
Vinyl lovers and headphones users are well catered for with dedicated, high-quality circuitry. Artera Pre has a low-noise Class A phono stage, configurable for both MM and MC cartridges, whilst an integrated headphone amplifier features a discrete Class A output stage with low output impedance able to drive even the toughest of loads.
Four stereo RCA inputs are provided – three line-level and one phono – plus one balanced XLR. All inputs can run in direct mode if preferred, bypassing all other circuitry to provide the shortest possible signal path from input to output.
Preamp outputs are provided in both balanced XLR and single-ended RCA flavours, together with a fixed-level RCA output. A pair of 12v trigger outputs is also included, to switch connected equipment on/off in line with the preamp.
Unlike many preamps with balanced inputs, Artera Pre’s four-channel volume control enables the audio signal to remain fully balanced throughout.
- Analogue Inputs: 3x RCA (AUX1, 2 & 3), XLR, Phono MM/MC
- Analogue Outputs: 1x RCA (PRE OUT), 1x RCA(AUX), 1x XLR, 1x 6.35mm Headphone Jack
- Max Gain (Vol=100): +8dB (Line/XLR), +53.5dB (Phono MM), +73.5dB (Phono MC)
- Input Sensitivity (Vol=84, Vout=0dBu): 775mV (Line/XLR), 4.1mV (Phono MM), 410uV (Phono MC)
- Input Impedance: 10K (Line/XLR), 47K/100pF (Phono MM), 100R/1.7nF (Phono MC)
- Max. Output Level (THD < 0.1%): 2.3Vrms (RCA), 4.6Vrms (XLR)
- Input Headroom (THD < 0.1% , Vol=50): 4.1Vrms (RCA), 8.2Vrms (XLR), 62mV (Phono MM) / 6.2mV (Phono MC) @ 1kHz
- Frequency Response: 20Hz-20kHz (± 0.2dB)
- Total Harmonic Distortion: <0.002% (20Hz-20kHz)
- S/N Ratio (Vout=0dBu): >110dB(A) (Line/XLR), >80dB(A) (Phono MM), >76dB(A) (Phono MC)
- Channel Separation: >100dB (10kHz)
- Output Impedance: 120 Ohms (RCA), 100 Ohms (XLR)