The original ESL is a most iconic loudspeaker: The world’s first full-range, ultra-low distortion electrostatic loudspeaker, which set standards for accuracy and fidelity in loudspeakers that remain unsurpassed to this day.
A labour of love for founder Peter Walker, the ESL-57, as it came later to be known, is still revered by audiophiles all over the world.
ESL is the complete embodiment of the Quad company ethos – "The Closest Approach To The Original Sound" – reproducing a sound which is indistinguishable from having the performers right there in front of you. The latest models (ESL-2812 and ESL-2912) have built on the original concept with improved efficiency.
- Format: Floor standing dipole with 3 degree fixed tilt
- Type: Multiple Electrostatic Drive Membranes
- Time Delay: Progressive Concentric Rings
- Chassis Structure: Heavy Duty Composite Aluminium / Steel
- Panel Elements: 4
- Maximum Output: 2 N/m_ at 2m On Axis
- Sensitivity: 1.5mbar Per Volt Referred To 1m (86 dB/2.83 V RMS Equivalent)
- Impedance: 8 Ohms Nominal
- Impedance Variation: 4-15 Ohms
- Maximum Input: Continuous Input Voltage (RMS): 10V
- Programme Peak For undistorted Output: 40V
- Permitted Peak Input: 55V
- Frequency Response: 37Hz-21kHz (-6dB), 33Hz – 23kHz (useable)
- Distortion: (100dB at 1m) – above 1000Hz: 0.15%, above 100Hz: 0.5%, above 50Hz: 1.0%